Supplies You’ll Need:
Tape or something heavy to hold down the yarn.
For a hippie headband with a single braid that wraps around your head once. There are directions on how to make different types below the basic steps.
1. Measure out three strands of yarn about 7 inches longer than the circumference of your head.
2. Tie a knot at the end and place a piece of tape or a chair leg just below the knot to hold down the yarn.
3. Braid it until you are a few inches away from the tips.
4. Tie the ends together.
5. Pull the yarn out from under the tape or chair leg, etc. There should be a small gap (if there’s not, just pull the yarn apart a little to make one).
6. Pull the other end through the hole. At this point, if the headband is too big you can pull the end farther through the hole to make the headband smaller.
7. And tie it (multiple times).
8. If you want to get rid of extra yarn on the ends, you can cut some off, but make sure there is at least a half inch left (so the knots don’t come undone).
A few different types…
The Double Wrap Triple Braid
Complete steps one through four for a double wrap headband three times to end up with three braided strands.
A big thank you to Sara and Laura for being such great models!